Sunday, July 08, 2007

More cinematic junk mail

This time it's from the streets.

I was going to do this whole elaborate post about whether rapper/actors are worthwhile, but that proved too difficult. Have you ever thought about how many hip-hop impresarios have moved in front of the camera? By my measure, it's a cubic fuck-ton.
One word -- Shaq.

On the other hand, doing my favorite Samuel L. Jackson flicks is too obvious. We all know Pulp Fiction is greatest cinematic achievement of the past 20 years; and I have already dedicated way too many posts (or not nearly enough?) to Snakes on a Plane and/or Deep Blue Sea.

So after perusing IMDB I am assured that this is real. That's right, its my favorite Ice Cube movies, with all apologies to I Got the Hook Up. I fear Cube may be typecast as some sort of angry black man.

XXX: State of the Union You were expecting Anaconda?
I already deconstructed this more than is necessary here. This fan vid would be better than the actual movie if that were humanly possible. Warning: Contains Breaking Benjamin.



Higher Learning
This is the one where Cube actually doesn't play a gangster ... well he kind of does, but this time he is educated and militant. He knows how to keep you guessing. But really what kept my attention (besides the institutional racism) was the possibility of Jennifer Connelly and Kristy Swanson hooking up. Probably NSFW. There's sideboob.


Friday Yeeuh. I think my favorite part of this movie is when Cube has to put water on his cereal. But of course there is also Chris Tucker doing his schtick before it got old, Cube's dad, Deebo, Bernie Mac as the pastor neighbor and all the rest of the gang. A true cinematic masterpiece.


Three Kings He's kind of a background character to Marky Mark and George Clooney, plus Spike Jonze steals the show as the idiot redneck. But Cube provides some quality depth in one of the more intelligent looks at the the original War in Iraq. You know, the one where we won but didn't get rid of Saddam. Bush 1 bitches!
I love the United States of Freedom!


Boyz N the Hood I assume Cube basically plays himself in this, as its one of his first roles and he comes across so believable. And he's all like -- Bitch there ain't no god, then shoots people with his AK. But later he dies and I was sad. Why oh why couldn't it have been Cuba? Fucking Snow Dogs.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Nice. Well worth the anticipation. I'm surprised one of the Barbershop flicks didn't make the cut.

grant said...

cuba gooding jr. is the greatest actor of all time. i think his work deserves a post...in fact, i may do it later today.

thope said...

Only if you include Chill Factor.

tdenevi said...

That was nice.