Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Deathmatch listoff: Best Beers

This is a pretty obvious list to do (and easy to put together). I'm surprised nobody thought of it earlier. Alcoholic that I am, it's pretty certain that my picks will be the best.

Schaefer Beer
Now this is kind of obscure, but cases of it are available at the Beer Mill (my local beer store, which is like 3 blocks from my apartment). Plus, it's the one beer to have when your having more than one.
Best. Jingle. Ever. And I always have more than one. Just ask this 70s-tastic commercial featuring the one and only Moog synthesizer.


Leinenkugels
Or as it is affectionately known, Leinie's. A Wisconsin brewed beer, the less obvious choice than Miller. In fact, this beer is pretty much the only positive thing I remember about the 7 months I lived in Wisconsin. Of course, the excessive amount of Leinie's I drank while there may have had an effect on both the number of positive experiences and my memory of them. I'm not sure how many different types of Leinenkugels there are, but this one is probably my favorite. Yes, it's just because of the name.


Yuengling
Those of you who have never lived in the Delaware Valley probably have never heard of this, but you are missing out. So cheap and good, the pride of Pottsville, Pa. In fact you can walk into any bar in the Philadelphia area and simply order "a lager" and every bartender will know what you are talking about. For the uninitiated (I'm looking in Mr. "Can i have swiss cheese on a cheesesteak" TMoney's direction) it's pronounced yingling. Which makes for hilarious commercials involving asians.


Bass Ale
Yeah I couldn't really think of anything else. I was tempted to go with something completely off the wall, like scotch, but that would destroy the integrity of the deathmatch listoff, whatever that means. So I went with another ale (my favorite kind of beer). Also I always seem get Bass when its on tap at the bar, so there you go. Fucking Limeys.



Victory HopDevil

BOOM. Straight outta Downingtown. It's a victory for your taste!

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Well, now that Schaefer Beer jingle played on the Moog synthesizer is stuck in my head. Damn you.

Anonymous said...

This is by no means an accurate list. Though to be fair, picking your favorite beer is like picking your favorite of your children. I humbly suggest that you left out the following: Guiness, Harp and Koenigsbacher Pils (AMA style).

Now, with that out of the way, I demand a list entitled "The Best Beers you drank in College." Demand it!

Number one should be Natty Ice. So nasty to drink yet such an unbelievably bad hangover the next day makes it all worthwhile.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
We saw your blog and thought you might like to know about the new Leinenkugel’s “What’s Your Mix?” website. I invite you to visit http://www.leinie.com and click on “What’s Your Mix?” to see how folks are mixing the Leinie’s family of beers. You can even show us your own mixing skills by submitting a mix. Apple Crisp … Honeybutt … we’ve gotten some great ones so far. As we say at the Lodge, to discover your mix, all it takes is a pint glass and a sense of adventure.
To Life and Leinie’s!

Diane Schindler
Leinie Lodge Fulfillment Supervisor