Thursday, July 19, 2007

Deathmatch counterpunch: Bands of my youth

I am trying to remember bands I listened to in the 80s and all I can come up with is Weird Al Yankovic. I mean dare to be stupid was pretty epic, but I'm going to have to leave him off this list. What can I say, I was too busy building dams in the stream behind my house in the 80s to develop an unhealthy obsession with Whitesnake.
Also, I'm pretty sure these selections will prove without a shadow of a doubt that dr.gpeice rocks harder than I do. OR DOES HE?

Presidents of the United States of America
I think the fact that I loved this band as a 14-year-old, before I knew the joys of herbal refreshment, shows I was ahead of my time. Apparently they came upon the name "The Presidents of the United States of America" while playing music high on marijuana. Of the names made up on the spot that night, "The Presidents" got the biggest rise out of the eleven stoners who happened to be listening. Hilarious, just like their music. Lump? Kitty? I also would like to move to the country and eat a lot of peaches.


Pearl Jam
I still only like their first two albums. Yellow Ledbetter is a pretty good song, but just give me "Ten" and "Vs" and I'll be happy. You can take Yield/No Code and shove them up your ass. Fuck you Eddie Vedder, your drunken on-stage slurring won't save you now. Wait, what was I talking about? Oh right, Vitology blows -- JOSH!


Stone Temple Pilots
"Core" was the first CD I ever bought. I carried it with me always until it was stolen by a crackhead in San Francisco (Shake harder boy!). On an unrelated note, I'm half the man I used to be.


Local H
Oh yeah, here's the good stuff you high-fiving motherfuckers. Frankly, the song Eddie Vedder off their sophomore effort "As Good as Dead" is better than anything the real Eddie Vedder has done in the past 10 years. Plus the CD looked like a giant quarter. I was always impressed that there were only two people in this band. I remember waiting for their next disc "Pack up the cats" but it never came out cause Universal sucks. And if I am ever back in Chicago for Halloween I am totally going to see their performance at the Double Door. Maybe they will cover Weird Al? It's no Britney Spears but still.
Well that was disturbing.

Social Distortion
Ok this was more in teh high school years, but whatever. I was really into the album that came out in '96 -- "White light, White heat, White trash" and in fact I still play it to this day (Crackhead missed that one). Anyway, "White(3x)" got some heavy rotation and I was like, hmmmm, I wonder if Mike Ness et al have any other CDs? And they did! But I still just mostly listened to that one album.


Damn I really did like grunge back in the day. And no this is not turning into a music blog. I'll be back Friday afternoon with some filler.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the sheer volume of posts going up recently. It almost making me want to be come a contributor.

Anonymous said...

You could technically file Social D in the underrated "cow punk" genre.
(See also: Swingin' Utters)

I too loved "White(Light + Heat + Trash)" in high school and still listen to it now. They just released a Greatest Hits album with a new song, "Far Behind," that's been all over Chi-town radio lately.