Wednesday, July 11, 2007

You go to hell, Phil Collins


Did anyone watch Live Earth? I watched it for about five minutes, saw Davey Havok and AFI totally butcher Ziggy Stardust then turned it off. Don't get me wrong, I like AFI, "Sing the Sorrow" is a great solid album. But watching that freak in action, mutilating classic Bowie, really fucking sucked. While watching it I kept picturing Vito's son from the Sopranos, the one who took a shit in the shower at school and then stepped in it. Go home and cry kill yourself, emo-kid.


Simply put, I got a feeling of BS from Live Earth. Like the one thing that called it Private Jets for Global Warming. But this article crystallized it for me. Basically the authors point is that Live Earth was all about consumerism, corporate sponsors and what have you.

Sponsors for the event included Chevrolet, Philips, NBC (parent company General Electric) and Microsoft. If there is anything Live Earth does represent about our generation, it's the commercialized raping and pillaging of our youth we've endured since we were toddlers: being force-fed Pokémon, Barbie and Happy Meals our whole life, taught that we "gotta catch 'em all!"

Aside from a few blatantly obvious energy-saving tips, how did the organizers of Live Earth propose we combat climate change? Buying a fuel-efficient Chevy car, replacing our light bulbs with Philips' compact fluorescents and listening to music on a Microsoft Zune instead of energy-wasting speakers.
He goes on to point out that the way to save the planet is not to buy more shit, but to CONSERVE. Ride a fucking bike people!

Anyway, as someone who has attended a few concert events in my life, I do think the benefit concert is dead. I was at Live 8 last summer in Philly and just kept thinking to myself -- how exactly is a free concert helping starving kids in Africa? What does raising awareness actually do? Did the any of the money from the T-shirt my friend bought with an starving african child staring at the G-8 leaders eating cake on the front go to providing rice for Ethiopia? The answers were it's not, nothing and five cents.



So after Will Smith welcomed us to Miami in Philadelphia, I left the crowds on Ben Franklin Parkway and got drunk with my sister and friends up on Spring Garden street. Sorry, one less audience member for such epic acts as Maroon 5 and Linkin Park/Jay-Z (Mash-Up!).
I'm sure the Africans suffered.

My point is that the benefit concert is D-U-N. Our generation sees right through the bullshit. Unless they are collecting food and well-building supplies that are being loaded on planes direct to Africa, benefit concerts ain't gonna do shit. That's baby-boomer, me generation stuff. Ohhh look at us, we're rocking for skinnies! I care about the world! I am raising awareness! I cannot be troubled to carpool to work!

Fuck, now I'm all riled up. I might go start revolutionizing or some shit. Better cool down with a video.
Haha. Gay.

2 comments:

grant said...

the best part was carson daly's involvement. how does that guy still host a talk show? i think it's like 30 minutes now (and used to be an hour) b/c they realize how bad he is...however they just can't give up on all those girls who watched him on trl back in the day. maybe they'll start watching! i bet he's wishing he was still at mtv where he was marginally relevent.

Anonymous said...

Is this tirad coming from a guy who used to drive (still does?)about 300 yards to work? Well played, sir.