Saturday, July 28, 2007

Deathmatch Counterpunch: Best Beers

While I'm probably no where near thope on the alcoholic scale, I do have a tendency to enjoy good beer. The only thing better than good beer is good herb. Word.

Grimbergen Dubbel
This is an abbey (yes, it was originally brewed by monks starting in the 12th century or something - beer brewed with the power of the holy spirit!) beer that I had the privilege of consuming while in Brussels, Belgium. I remember it was dark and delicious...just like thope enjoys his women! I keed, I keed! haha. Belgium has some great beer, unfortunately I can't remember any others. I definitely told myself this was my favorite, which is why I remember its name.


Newcastle Brown Ale
You can find this pretty much anywhere, so the whole imported thing is kinda dumb. It is probably my favorite beer that is commonly found in bars and liquor stores. If the bar has it on tap, I stick with it. That is unless they have some delicious microbrews or something.


Bell's Best Brown Ale
I love Bell's, which is a brewery in Galesburg, Michigan. I might even go so far as to say it's the best brewery in the Midwest. I was torn between the four brands of theirs that I have tried, but I love the brown ales. Also delicious are the following: Two Hearted Ale, Amber Ale, and Consecrator Doppelbock. The best brown ale is a seasonal, so I've only had it a couple times. If you ever get a chance, give Bell's a try.


Barley John's Wild Brunette
Ok, this is kinda random, but Barley John's is a great brew pub probably six miles from my house. I've been there a few times and their beer is amazing. Their monday happy hour goes nonstop all afternoon until midnight, which can be troublesome. The Wild Brunette is made from wild rice, and is my personal favorite. Not only is the beer here delicious, but the alcohol percentages range from 5-15%. They also have a wimpy 3.5, but I've never tried it. That's for children. Notice the irony in that statement...I'm so clever! I think I'm going to touch myself in congratulation!

Summit Winter Ale
A seasonal ale from Summit brewery in St. Paul, Minnesota. They have other great types, too. Their beers are actually kind of expensive considering it's a local brewery, but what are you going to do?

0 comments: