Monday, July 23, 2007

God?


There are some things in this world that really piss me off and religious zealots are right at the top of the list. Too often people turn a blind eye to the real world and let "faith" take care of things. This drives me nuts. People need to take control of their lives. If there was a God, he would deserve a swift kick in the nuts for all that is wrong in this world (or a punch in the ovaries, in case he was actually a she. Sweet Blasphemy!). I especially love the song and dance about how all the bad in the world is due to Satan's influence. Spare me. That's about as plausible as the boogeyman.

The truth is that the concept of God was invented by people who had no idea what the hell was going on and needed some sort of explanation. Unfortunately they didn't have the benefit of science that we do now...and it's too bad because thousands of years of believing in something that doesn't exist has made people very stubborn.

Why the diatribe on religion? Well, I read this today. These sextuplets were big news a little over a month ago. What disappointed me is that during the pregnancy the parents were told that the chances of the six babies surviving would be very, very slim. They could have reduced the number of fetuses to allow the babies a normal chance of survival. Well, they refused because of their "faith" in God and that whatever happened would be his plan. Now I'm not about to try to force my opinions about abortion on people, but look where their decisions have led. Isn't refusing care for your unborn children, which leads to their death, the same thing as abortion? Apparently God's will was a deep sadness that will last their entire lifetime.

I'm sorry, but what kind of God does this to people? I hope their last child survives, because this is tragic. I would never wish it upon anyone. But seriously, when are people going to open their eyes? Evangelicals are taking over various facets of our country and it's not for the better. They claim to be "God's people" and to do good, but this is absolutely false. All they want to do is force their beliefs on others so that we can all live in a joyless, Christian society. Yippee! I once was a Christian and this is not what I learned from the bible. This type of hypocrisy is partly what drove me away from the church...that and I actually started thinking about things, something the majority of our nation could stand to do more of.

And don't get me started on the Pope's recent approval of a document reasserting the Catholic church's stance that theirs is the only true church and path to salvation, the God Hates Fags people, or the millionaire televangelists.

The God hates shrimp people are cool, though. God also hates zombies.



I apologize if I offended you. You're free to believe what you want, just stop trying to ruin my world.

1 comments:

thope said...

And man, seeking an explanation for everything in the world, created God in his own image.

-Sam Harris "The end of faith"

dr.gpiece, you really need to move out of the Midwest