Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Your beliefs are tragically inferior to my own

When the people getting richer, off the people getting poorer; its do for peeking over. Theres justice on the way. If we only knew the truth about what really goes on, maybe all the things I do would make sense, just for once.
-Nonpoint "The Truth"

One of my major beefs with the American people is how fucking uninformed they are. Granted, being in the news business affords me the luxury of being ridonkulously up to date on all the latest happenings, but its fucked how stupid we as a people are when it comes to current events.

Take my roommate for example, from now on referred to as "churchy mcfascist." He is one of the worst kinds of uninformed Americans, the kind that thinks they do know what is going on in the world, when in fact all their info comes from daytime talk radio. Colin Cowherd sucks. The other day churchy mcfascist told me to "hold down the left side of the apartment," which really pissed me off. The worst part is I don't think he even realizes that he is coming off as a condescending prick. I am going to start praying to Mecca just to fuck with him.

OK I got off track there for a second (like I was ever on track). I think my point is Americans, as a people, are tragically uninformed. It's only natural to let our experiences shape the way we view the world. but that in itself can be problematic due to the numerous ways this crazy country we live in allows us to insulate ourselves from other's point of view.

Take politics for example: If you're a conservative hate-monger you have a wealth of talk radio options, Bill O'Reilly and web sites like little green footballs. If you're a liberal pussy you've got a million web sites, the Daily Show and Steven Colbert. Nevermind who is right (the progressives) -- in both situations the result is an echo chamber that demonizes the other side without proposing any real solutions.

(Of course a the clowns in Washington are more to blame for the divided state of American politics than anyone else. What a bunch of clowns. Don't praise the machine.)

My point is it's much easier to scoff at others beliefs when they differ from our own than to consider said beliefs for their merits. I mean, I don't snowball, but that doesn't make someone who does is less worthy of my respect. Well maybe it is kind of weird, but it takes different strokes for different folks. And that, my friends, is the point.

If everybody stepped outside their comfort zone once in a while, it would go a long way toward making the world a better place. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes. And if you disagree with that, well, take a look over here at my .357 and you might just change your mind.

0 comments: