Sunday, August 05, 2007

Rock the Bells


The show on Randall's Island (between Manhattan and Queens) was two days of hip-hop and rage one week ago. Namely, the reunition (not a word) of both Rage against the Machine and Wu Tang Clan in New York City. I was visiting with former NUKE bro Max aka Shiles aka Teach aka homeowner, and we had planned going to this show months in advance. Anticipation was heavy.

We checked the weather before leaving Queens, and unfortunately the forecast was for rain. No matter, "We'll just wear hats." So we set off on our way, none the worse for wear under threatening skies. Walking in, we were behind some guy whose shirt proclaimed "If you can't drag it. You're a faggot." I believe it has something to do with motorcycles.

Truly an interesting crowd, most attired in commie-shiek olive drab. I guessimate 50% of the people were there entirely for Rage. It started raining almost immediately after we entered the venue, a huge field with two stages. We started at the second stage "Paid Dues" which was MC'd by this guy.


We saw two members of the living legends, which I assume are some sort of bay area hip-hop collective. Anyway, Eligh and the Grouch were pretty good. Eligh had some ridiculous flows and the grouch had a shirt with Oscar's eyes on it.

We were at the stage because Max wanted to see Mr. Lif. He had seen him back in the day in Boston apparently. Mr. Lif came out with some sort of cowl on, covering his face while he rapped about vampires. After his set, we walked over toward the main stage area. Talib Kwali was up, followed by Mos Def. Talib then came back out on stage because Mos Def and Talib Kwali are BLACKSTAR.

Unfortunately their set was marred by pouring rain. We stood huddled amongst the crowd taking slugs of Jameson to keep warm (We had hats! And T-shirts!). I felt Max's steely-eyed glares -- damn me, why did I get him into this. At one point, it was noted that Rage wouldn't be onstage for five more hours, prompting this exchange.
Me: This concert is only for the true believers.
Max: Are we true believers?
Me: /grunts
So needless to say conditions were less than ideal to enjoy some quality rappers taking on modern day issues. I was wet and cold. Nevertheless, Redefinition was good.


Then Rakim came on but I didn't care cause it stopped raining. We worked our way up toward the front of the crowd in anticipation of the heavy hitters of the evening.

First up was Cypress Hill. I'd seen them before in theory. By that I mean I was semi-passed out on the Tweeter Center lawn a couple summers ago while they played their set.

Funny story -- right before that I decided I needed one of the tweeter center's ridiculously overpriced slushy drinks that comes in a novelty glass. I was served despite my obvious intoxication, and when I went to pay the lady, I knocked the guitar-shaped beverage all over her and her cash drawer. She served me another free of charge, god bless her.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, Cypress Hill. They put on a good show, giant inflatable buddha adorned with a pot leaf and all. I'm pretty sure Cypress Hill puts on the exact same show everytime. Insane in the Membrane, How I could Just Kill a Man, I ain't goin out like that and Rock Superstar among others. They bring a hours'worth of instantly recognizable songs and a small chronic break. That band sure does love them some reefer. Definitely worth seeing live.

It brings to mind the memorable clip from the simpsons. I wish they had played with the London Symphony Orchestra.


The next act was Public Enemy, and as bad as it is to say about one of the earliest most influential hip-hop acts, they were teh suck. I blame Flava Flav, particularly when he thanked the crowd for his hit show on VH1. Totally out of control. They did provide many an opportunity for the black power fist, but really they sucked. Everyone was just waiting for who came next.


That's right -- straight from the slums of shaolin, the RZA, the GZA, -----, Inspectah Deck, Raekwon the chef, U-God, Ghostface Killa and the Method Man. The last of whom repeatedly berated the audience. I think it was because they were returning to New York and were faced with a way lighter-skinned crowd than they expected. At one point they even said that the fans at a show in Germany were better and more excited. Sorry Meth, a legion of disaffected suburban kids has discovered 36 chambers. It did come out nearly 15 years ago, after all.

But still, I don't blame the Wu for their hostility -- looking at this makes me inexplicably angry too.

Anyway, despite the clear disdain for the audience, it was quality to see them in concert, playing all the classics. They even gave ODB a shout out in heaven, having everyone sing "Ohh baby I like it raw." But in all fairness, what came next was what everyone wanted to see.

Rage against the Machine
. They were all business. No preaching about politics (shut up Flav!), just an hour and a half of fucking RAWK. They don't even need to talk, their lyrics say enough, especially when Morello makes his guitar sound like bagpipes. The raw power of their set defies my abilities of description, so here's a small anecdote.

Somewhere in the midpoint of the set, I think during a bombtrack, some mandude in the mosh pit in front of me starts puking. Clearly not as hardcore as the chick that was holding her own right next too him. Well the pit scatters, and one guy runs up behind him, mid-hurl, flashes the double devil horns and screams METAL. And it was. Then the chick put a poncho over the puke and the moshing resumed.

Plus they encored with Freedom, Wake Up and Killing in the Name of. Gotta love the lyrics: "Some of those that burn crosses, are the same that hold office." If you want to see it the amateur Youtube videos are abundant (I searched rage rock the bells). But frankly the quality is fucking shitty on those, so I'll leave you with this instead. Directed by none other than Michael Moore. Actually this is better, plus they opened with it.
The more things change the more they stay the same.

0 comments: