Thursday, September 13, 2007

254 greatest movies of all time: #116 &117 Kill Bill

I was inspired by watching the last hour of Commando to do another one of these. Not on Commando of course, gotta delay the top ten til later. Just kidding, Commando isn't in the top ten. Or is it?

So lets take a look at the Kill Bill movies. Mmmmm, ultra-stylized violence. I'm sure it won't be the last time Quentin Tarantino makes an appearance in these completely arbitrary rankings. In fact I'd wager all his films could find themselves here sooner or later (except maybe grindhouse, which I haven't seen).

I am putting the Kill Bill movies together because of the whole "one narrative" thing, but they take up two spots. Lets say Vol. 2 is slightly better so thats your #116.

I've heard the first volume described as an western eastern and the second described as a eastern western. I have no idea what that means, but you can see the influences of spaghetti westerns, martial arts and samurai movies. Also, this movie is further proof that the RZA is the man (he did the score).

First lets take a look at a clip. This is the part where the bride takes out like 50 dudes in five minutes.

And because I can't enough of the kickass fight scenes, here's the showdown between the Bride and Elle Driver.


Tagline: Revenge is a dish best served cold

Plot Spoilers: The bride kills everybody on her list, including Bill with the five point palm exploding heart technique. Her name is Beatrix Kiddo and she reunites with her daughter at the end.

Best Character: Oh man this is tough. So many options. Of course in a movie where all the characters are assassins that is to be expected. The bride seems too obvious. O-Ren Ishii and Go-Go warrant mentioning. But I'm going to have to go with the old man, Pai Mei. From the first story Bill tells of his killing 60-some monks because of one perceived slight to his death via poisoned fish heads, the shaolin master keeps it real with his ridiculous moustache. Not to mention his whole 3-inch punch training ends up saving the Bride's ass when she is buried alive.


Notable Quotes:
The Bride: How did you find me?
Bill: I'm the man.

[looking at the Bride in her coma]
Buck: Price is $75 a fuck, my friend. You getting your freak on, or what?
Trucker: Oh yeah, boy.
[gives Buck the money]
Buck: Now here are the rules. Rule Number One: no punching her. The nurse comes in tomorrow and she got a shiner or less some teeth, jig's up. So, no knuckle sandwiches under no circumstances. And by the way, this little cunt's a spitter. It's a motor-reflex thing. But spit or not, no punching. Now, are we absolutely, positively clear on Rule Number One?
Trucker: Yeah.
Buck: Good. Now, Rule Number Two: no monkey bites, and no hickeys. In fact, no leaving no marks of any kind on her. After that, it's all good, buddy. Now, her plumbing down there don't work no more, so feel free to come in her all you want. Keep the noise down, try not to make a mess. I'll be back in twenty.
[Buck starts to leave, but snaps his fingers and turns back]
Buck: Oh, shit! By the way, not every time but sometimes this chick's cooch will get drier than a bucket of sand. If she's dry, just lube up with this,
[tosses him a jar labeled "VasaLube"]
Buck: and you'll be good to go. Bon Appetite, good buddy.

Budd: She's got a Hanzo sword?
Bill: He made one for her.
Budd: Didn't he swear a blood oath to never make another sword?
Bill: It would appear he has broken it.
Budd: Them Japs sure know how to hold a grudge.
[laughs]
Budd: Or maybe, you just tend to bring that out in people.

[Esteban, an 80-year-old pimp, appraises The Bride]
Esteban Vihaio: If I had met you forty years ago, you would have been my Number One lady.
The Bride: Well, I'm flattered.
Esteban Vihaio: You goddamn better well be.

The Bride: Go-Go, I know you feel you must protect your mistress. But I beg you, walk away.
[Go-Go giggles girlishly]
Go Go Yubari: You call that begging? You can beg better than that.

Another reason to see them: As with most Tarantino movies, the music is totally amazing. In passing I'll mention the 5,6,7,8s performance in the house of blue leaves; Elle Driver whistling "Twisted Nerve" on her way to poison the bride; and the outstanding use of "Battle without honor or humanity" throughout. Also, there's lots of blood.

4 comments:

tdenevi said...

This is a pretty damn good post. And you know me. I usually only compliment people when I want something.

Andrew said...

Good pick. You have a greater repertoire of fine films; Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 cracked my top 75.

Anonymous said...

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/eagles_fans_give_mcnabb_three_week

I totally agree with this article. Could possibly use a link.

Anonymous said...

I just checked the standings and after Ackers gives me 7 points tonight I will win the fantasy football matchup. It will be sweet.