Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Municipal government officials are my heroes

Part of my job is covering municipal meetings. In theory, I have 3 townships that I am responsible for.

As you might suspect, nothing ever happens at these meetings. In the past I have written stories about the non-passage of a property maintenaince code and mailboxes getting knocked down by a snowplow.

But today after an epic 4-hour meeting at one of the more "hick" municipalities I think I may have lost my mind. 20 minute dissertations on the state of a fucking guardrail. I actually wrote that line from Billy Madison about rambling and god having mercy on your soul in my notebook. Not sure how I can work that into a story, but its warrants mentioning.

To give you an example of the idiocy that occurs, check out this gem:

Resident: And then she said "I got a tick in my head." So I tells her, "You got to burn it."
Township supervisor: If we could please get back to the matter at hand...
Resident: Well them trees are real tall and the limbs fall down. I can't even sleep on one side of my house when its windy.
Supervisor: well before we get too off topic (editors note: ha!) we have the motion and it's been seconded, all in favor?

Seriously this is what happens. every. fucking. meeting.

I love my job.

1 comments:

E-roc said...

Ok, I can't sign in with my g-mail credentials, but if I sign into g-mail and then come here, I can post under E-roc. I guess that's the way it shall be.

I kept picturing a Springfield town meeting as I was reading that only it was more tragic than funny because these people are apparently serious.

Speaking of which, I already got my top-5 Best Simpsons Episodes deathmatch nominees. Stay tuned kids.