Thursday, May 29, 2008

FGBC: World War Z

Here's a quick hit installment of the book club -- regarding to World War Z, by Max Brooks. It's a pretty quick read. I know some have voiced their displeasure toward Brooks' previous 'Zombie Survival Guide' but this is somewhat enjoyable, if not 'good'.

The narrative takes the form of interviews -- the author talks to survivors about their experiences during the so-called Zombie War. It's an interesting style that I think adds to the book. Rather than get bogged down in one individual story, you get a broader picture of how people are dealing with the living dead the world over.

It's largely brainless (Maybe a zombie ate it. ZING), and sometimes Brooks gets hung up stupid details. But other times the details add to the story, like how the American soldiers get psyched for battle by listening to Iron Maiden. The 'Great Panic' chapter is pretty solid with its hopeless downfall of humanity and all that.

I think the best parts of this book are when the character's stories offer veiled comment on modern day issues like energy policy and environmentalism. And no, I can't think of specific examples. But the part about the Japanese guy blinded at Hiroshima finally finding his true purpose by killing the undead may have something to do with it.

Bottom line, if you like stories about zombies, you will probably enjoy this book. It's a good one for the beach. Goats grade: B minus.

1 comments:

tdenevi said...

I tried to find selections on the web to read for free. Alas. And the university of iowa has only one copy, checked out--the writing university my ass.

Also, I may or may not get nightmares from such books.

So this leads me to: what's next? I stand by my pushy and self-important reading list. And by Bulgalkov, bitches. But perhaps something lighter? You are the herder of the goats, of course. Tell us what media to consume!