Thursday, November 29, 2007

If its not Scottish ...

I came across this little article in my daily internet travels. It seems the powers that be in Scotland decided they needed a new slogan to bring in the tourists. I guess "Best Small Country in the World" was getting a little tired. So they dropped 125,000 Euros to bring in the best slogan writers ever.

And the exciting new catchphrase dreamed up by top advertising brains is..."Welcome to Scotland".

Really? That is crap. William Wallace is rolling in his grave. Granted, it is part of a larger whole that includes catchphrases for different major cities. Forest for the trees and all that. Although "Birthplace of Charles Rennie Mackintosh" doesn't really inspire you to visit Glasgow, does it?

In an attempt to right this horrid injustice I tried to come up with a few slogans of my own. Granted I've never been to Scotland, but surely combining my Scottish ancestry (MacFarlane clan, holla!) and creative skills can come up with something better. Hopefully not involving the Loch Ness monster and kilts.


Hey, wanna play some golf or bagpipes?

Scotland: Less drunk than Ireland!

Visit the barren highlands of Scotland

How not Scots?

Come see people throw those big railroad tie things, what're they called? Cabers? Yeah, Cabers! In Scotland!


OK thats all I got, writing slogans for something you know little about is tougher than I thought. If you have any suggestions of you own, have at it in the comments.

1 comments:

charles said...

Scotland: Plaid to the Bone

bleh.