Thursday, June 10, 2010

Important things, they are a-happening

Sports! Do you care about them? Increasingly, it seems the answer may be yes! This became apparent to me when I was on facebook this morning, to update my employer's page on the marketing/dating/photo-sharing site. Linky linky! Links to webpages pages within links to webpages: The internet may or may not be based on some sort of chinese doll system. But I digress.

In having to log in to facebook, one is forced to look at a so-called "news feed" in which any of the other people out there I have deemed worthy of being my friend can post whatever the heck they want, which is mostly what they or their children recently ate and/or pooped. But who am I kidding, you know how facebook works. How did we ever live without it! I used to not (know how the site works or use it) but now I have to because I am paid increasingly small amounts of money (if inflation is taken into account) to know those very things. Job skills!

So this morning I logged in and what should I see but not pictures of people's babies and dogs, but a bunch of things about the Stanley Cup (or as I like to call it, the World Cup of Canada). But the information that was appearing in my "news feed" was very conflicting. Apparently, some people were happy about the outcome of the games, while others were deeply sad! Upon further review, it seemed like there was some regional bias in effect, like people from Chicago liked what happened, and people from Philadelphia did not. One person just said "WOOOOOOOOOO!!" with no context whatsoever! Very confusing.

"Where are the fact checkers!" I thought. It's almost like anyone can put whatever they want in my news feed, whenever they want, with no regard for actual facts or whether I might actually care what they are saying or whether it actually fits the universally-accepted definition of news. I assume that facebook has a bunch of money from selling all the information it has about everyone, surely it could afford to pay an editor or three! Take a little pride in your work, that way I wouldn't have to sort through all sorts of banal nonsense just to post an amusing (to me) inside joke about setting people on fire and poking people's eyes out with Denny's menus on someone's note about Nebraska joining the Big Ten (This is true, look it up!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Facebook is like tongue punching someone's fart box.

thope said...

Keep your salad-tossing proclivities to yourself thanks.