Monday, March 08, 2010

This is about the Oscars

I don't think its any secret that movies can be worthwhile. Not all of course, but media made for a huge screen with crazy sound quality is not a bad idea in this post 9/11 world. "Once upon a time in Nazi-Occupied France" is a thing now because Quentin Tarantino is huge nerd. I'm no authority, but I do prefer my history in film form. As many once said somewhere, at some time, probably, "I like what I like." Or maybe it was "There's no accounting for taste."

But really -- the one thing that you should seek out for sure is animated short winner "Logorama" which I saw while back when it made a cameo on Vimeo. Vimeo Cameo. Maybe you haven't heard of this one? A Ronald McDonald goes on a violent criminal rampage taking Big Boy hostage and getting chased by Michelin Men who are performing in a cop-like capacity. Also there is an earthquake. Literally the entire movie is trademarks, I'm glad I saw it because it comes across as near straight Capitalist Samizdat*.



Additional comment:

Good that Hurt Locker beat Avatar. The only criticism I've read of Hurt Locker is that its an unrealistic depiction of war, what with the small number of characters diffusing deadly bombs in set pieces. This is like criticizing Point Break because of the surfing/skydiving scenes. So in other words, a stupid and without merit argument to make about a fictional movie. There have been many criticisms levied at Avatar -- like how its a FernGully rip off and dizzying and how it made billions of dollars and is long. I haven't seen a Cameron movie since True Lies and I'd like to keep it that way.

Also, its a crime the Black Dynamite wasn't recognized.

*This is likely IJ-influenced hyperbole, because Logorama's on iTunes.

0 comments: