Thursday, June 05, 2008

That's the last time you put a knife in me

Saw Darjeeling Limited the other day -- it was OK, probably my "least" favorite Wes Anderson movie. Still liked it though. Poisonous snakes are hilarious.

But it got me thinking: Hey, a post about Wes Anderson movies might be warranted. And then today I couldn't think of anything else to write about. So let's put on some David Bowie in Portuguese and take a morosely hilarious look at his filmography, possibly while seeking parental approval as an adult and getting involved in some bizarre romantic entanglements.

First off, Martin Scorsese chose him as the next Martin Scorsese, a piece of trivia that amuses me for some reason. His name certainly belongs on the list of young filmmakers that got started in the past decade or so. Off the top of my head let's throw out David O. Russell, Paul Thomas Anderson, Darren Aronofsky, and of course McG.

Anderson's movies certainly hold their own with the likes of Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, if not Boogie Nights. Lets run 'em down list-style. After all, what is the internet without arbitrary rankings?
1. Royal Tenenbaums
2. Life Aquatic
3. Rushmore
4. Bottle Rocket
5. Darjeeling Limited/Hotel Chevalier

Not sure why I think Tenenbaum's is my favorite, possibly the scene where the priest gets knocked down the stairs. More likely the reason is Gene Hackman as the total ass Royal. Constantly reminding his daughter she's adopted? Comic gold. I could recite quotes from this movie all day. Also, Owen Wilson has never been better than he is here as the mescaline-addicted(?) Eli Cash. Please stop belittling me.

Life Aquatic may be a little high here, just like Bill Murray is throughout the film. Steve Zissou really is pretty much Royal Tenenbaum on a boat. But the stop motion fish and the gunfight are surprisingly funny. Also Klaus. And I'll take that last scene over just about any other movie ever.


/slow motion

0 comments: