Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Movies are very important/serious

Those Hollywood taste-makers were in full affect this morning, with the announcing of the Oscar nominations. The Oscars are probably the second most important awards in the history of ever, just behind MacArthur Grants. So obviously I watched the live feed in here my cubicle. Anne Hathaway has an enormous mouth!

But that's neither here nor there ... this year there are 10 films up for best picture, in what some call the "Dark Knight" rule. Which means shit like "The Blind Side" and "District 9" are nominated this year. Nothing against District 9 of course, it was quite good. "The Blind Side" on the other hand? Throwing a bone to people who love them some Dancing With the Stars. Bear Jew!

But really the most exciting moment of anticipation is wondering how the hell they are going to try and show any pertinent clips from the best adapted screenplay nom "In the Loop" during the Oscar broadcast. Because there is a lot of awesome cursing, presumably a big reason for its nomination. For example "Fuckety Bye" which is how I always end conference calls at work now. Also: "I know you don't like cursing, you F, STAR, STAR, CUNT!" (paraphrased)

Hmmm, what other instantaneous analysis can I make without consulting/plagiarizing other blogs/twitter trending topics? Hurt Locker was awesome, and totally deserves to win all the awards/plaudits it can, especially over "Avatar" which I haven't seen but my dad said it made him nauseous, so obviously it sucks. Also, "Up In The Air," which I also haven't seen, is fucking dumb. That's my impression at least. If George Clooney came to my job to lay people off that would be kind of cool though I guess. It's no Michael Clayton as far as I'm concerned.

2 comments:

Sean said...

Michael Clayton was good.

Also, how about a post with some sort of humorous Lost recap. I think I remember you writing on here that you watch that show. The season premiere was good in my opinion. Elements of Stephenson with the different worldtracks now, which I like. Science!

thope said...

I may do that ... once I see the whole thing later today. I stopped watching/passed out after the first half-hour last night.