Monday, February 22, 2010

Don't judge

OK, I may take some heat for this from those who hate on the hipsterishness of certain things posted on here. But honestly, whatever, I can take it (and later weep silently to myself).

This past weekend I was in Brooklyn, where I attended a live reading of an interpretation of a Lewis Carroll poem. This was not my reason for going there, but the opportunity presented itself. It was "The Hunting of the Snark" adapted by some girl and performed by a group of 7 people or so, including not one but two narrators. One of the narrators also played the Snark I think. Needless to say it was hard to follow. The Beaver was hilarious.

Another possibly relevant fact -- the "performance" was in some house in Brooklyn Heights, which is a particularly tony section of the borough, known for the prevalence of tiny dogs wearing coats. It's no Bushwick, suffice it to say.

At one point while everyone was milling around drinking wine out of paper cups I overhead some presumably tweed-wearing guy* say "This is such a New York thing to do!" I was disgusted/amused by this, a feeling which I struggled to conceal from the harsh-faced girl I was talking to. She expressed a similar, condescending thought to me when I informed her of the population of the town in which I live (est. 20,000).

The point is these are things people do for fun in New York City.

*He definitely had a beard.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hippies. I bet that harsh faced girl wasnt even wearing a bra. Lascivious! Also, arent there a lot of hassidic Jews in Brooklyn?

Hyperlocal blogtown,

Sean

thope said...

Fucking Lawyers.

grant said...

What would be her response upon learning my home town's population of 452? Honestly, fNY and their "NY things to do".

I don't know why but I just envisioned thope performing interpretive dance...something like a zach galifianakis standup routine but more violent.