Monday, January 04, 2010

Can't recommend this enough


"Let me tell you something," says Freddie. "Something about this country. Anybody can do anything. But first they gotta try. And you guys ain't. Two don't work and one strips naked? I don't consider that trying. You kids make squat. And therefore you live in a dangerous craphole. And what happens in a dangerous craphole? Bad tragic shit. It's the freaking American way-you start out in a dangerous craphole and work hard so you can someday move up to a somewhat less dangerous craphole. And finally maybe you get a mansion. But at this rate you ain't even gonna make it to the somewhat less dangerous craphole."
- from Sea Oak, which is so freaking hilarious I can't adequately express it. My abilities of expression are inadequate. Here's another passage from there:
After dinner the babies get fussy and Min puts a mush of ice cream and Hershey's syrup in their bottles and we watch The Worst That Could Happen, a half-hour of computer simulations of tragedies that have never actually occurred but theoretically could. A kid gets hit by a train and flies into a zoo, where he's eaten by wolves. A man cuts his hand off chopping wood and while wandering around screaming for help is picked up by a tornado and dropped on a preschool during recess and lands on a pregnant teacher.

Also another short story in this, The End of Firpo in the World is heart-breaking, yet funny. It's like Vonnegut had a baby, and that baby met the baby of David Foster Wallace and those two babies had a baby? Yes, it's the product of baby fucking.

edit: I knew that baby bit was from something, but couldn't remember what. But now I do remember: Pineapple Express. Which was a movie I sort of hated when I first saw it, but now if I see it on Starz or whatever I usually watch it for a bit and its weird violence is somehow becoming endearing? Anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! happy new year goats. I have been away from your posts and am the worse, for it.

It makes sense that a mind like yours would like Saunders. You should check out his short story "Civil War Land in Bad Decline."

What else? that NU bowl game sure went well, eh? I got nothin.

thope said...

A great weekend for NU sports. Wait no, that's wrong ... what's the word? Horrid. Or possibly fetid.

Irrelevant/obscure over-share: I read this book while watching the Outback Bowl loss. It made it more bearable to imagine Stefan Demos as a theme-park employee/cave man, cringing when his coworker breaks character over a patron's "nosehole goo goo" comment!