Monday, November 16, 2009

Happy now bitch?



That is a well-edited video, capturing many of the themes that made The Wire so great. I only wish it had a couple other lines: Like "Nice Dolphin, nigga" and "That's a life that had to be snatched." Also I forgot how many obscenely hilarious lines Rawls had over the years.

Speaking of The Wire, this AV Club list with the best 30 shows of the decade is pretty spot on. Is instant nostalgia a thing? Because there will be much of it, if it exists, in the next month and a half as the decade comes to an end.

In other news -- anyone have any book suggestions? Something I can get at the library? I was thinking of going sci-fi, an easier read after the hardest 150 pages ever in Crying of Lot 49. Stephen King perhaps. But on the other hand I'm tempted to go full pretentious, get Infinite Jest and read it conspicuously in public places.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still can't believe they killed Wallace.

Read Jesus' Son, you fuck! It's about real hipsters, you know, the kind who do heroin and ride bikes because the crippling addiction keeps them from earning money to trade for goods and services...and what have you.

thope said...

Dude I read Jesus' Son. Pretty sure I posted about it and you commented on it at the time. Good memory, drugs.

The movie kind of sucked in comparison.

Unknown said...

Stephen King has a new book out called Under the Dome that looks good. It's about people living (yes) under a dome. Simpsons style. Also The Long Walk, if you never read that one, was good.

For something even more sci-fiey maybe Stranger in a Strange Land or Farnham's Freehold by Heinlein. They are both geeked out and Farnham's might also be kind of racist. Or is it?

Anonymous said...

I read a book called My Custom Van: And 50 Other Mind-Blowing Essays that Will Blow Your Mind All Over Your Face by Michael Ian Black. It's short and a really quick read. You could probably go through it in a couple of days. It is one of the funniest books I have ever read. With chapter titles such as "Using the Socratic Method to Determine What It Would Take for Me to Voluntarily Eat Dog Shit for the Rest of My Life" and "Why I Used a Day-Glo Magic Marker to Color My Dick Yellow" how could it not be good?

-Dan

Anonymous said...

What! Are you sure? I just searched Jesus, son, and Johnson on the blog (Obama Administration, always watching) and couldn't find said post. And oh how I have been looking forward to it.

As for other books, a mind like yours might like WIlliam Vollmann's Rising Up and Rising Down--essays. A bit too deathy for me, but then I'm a bit of a wuss.