Friday, May 22, 2009

An anniversary of sorts


Well its memorial day weekend, which means I'll be celebrating one year of carlessness. Let's break out some bike and bus-related highlights. Transport!

-I don't want to turn this into a car bashing extravaganza(although I could, easily). So here's the nut -- a lack of driving will quickly turn thoughts of automobiles as a necessity into to a mix of disgust and fear, especially of luxury SUVs and sports cars. Also, drivers? It's kind of unnecessary to excessively speed up you pass a bicycle. Although it probably is vital to make up those few seconds you were inconveniently stuck behind someone pedaling their hardest. Dicks.

-One time I missed the bus coming back from Philly, so I found myself with an hour to kill in Upper Darby. (For those familiar with Chicago, think Howard Street El station/Rogers Park). So I went to some extremely ghetto bar/lunch counter. And I lived!

-Going over the handlebars on a bicycle can be fun and educational for the whole family.

-Sometimes its better to just leave your bike locked up in town rather than try to bring it back to your place when you are fall down drunk, because you might get mugged/pistol-whipped after the front wheel falls off.

-Yelling quotes from There Will Be Blood at passing motorists can draw some interesting looks. Examples: "DRAINAGE!" or "Give me the blood, and let me get away."

-Nasty weather has a lot more influence on one's day to day when you do not have the ability to travel fast without getting wet or cold. Thank god its summer now.

That's about all I can think of at this point. I'm off to recreate the video posted above on the Schuylkill Expressway.

0 comments: