Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Professional hitter



What's the over/under on number of texts sent last night with only the words "professional hitter" (professional hitler? No). I say 15,000, including two on my phone which will be saved probably forever.

Some interesting "facts" I just found via Stairs' wikipedia page:

-The Phillies are his 11th Major League team. Solid joureyman career.

-Once drove in six runs in one inning.

-He's Canadian. Broke into the majors in 1993 with the Expos as all Canadian players were required to due to what has become commonly known as the 49th parallel apartheid rule.

-He was drafted as a pitcher/shortstop.

-At one time Stairs played for Chunichi Dragons in Japan. This is their mascot.

-Noting that he didn't get 500 MLB at bats until age 29, baseball nerds Bill James and Joe Posnanski theorize that Stairs is probably a far more talented hitter than his career stats suggest. James contends, "You put him in the right park, right position early in his career ... he's going to hit a LOT of bombs." Possibly enough to be worthy of Hall of Fame consideration.

-With lines like "Stairs enjoyed a nice 2 years with the Kansas City Royals" it seems his wiki page was edited by a diehard fan. By which I mean me.

Heh. Hall of fame.

2 comments:

tdenevi said...

"Home run," Stairs said. "That's what I think of every time I go over to the plate. I told my wife before the game it would be nice to hit a pinch-hit home run for the game-winner, swear to God."

Mmm. I bet he and his wife used that last night.

God I hate the Dodgers. One more bitches. Also: my favorite part of the Ice Cube video is when he wakes up his woman by bouncing her head against the pillow. And the driving drunk.

TD

charles said...

more like Fat Stairs

booyah