Monday, February 16, 2009

Surrender is death and death is for pussies

If you have access to HBO, highly recommend checking out the new show from the McBride-Hill-Best combo, Eastbound and Down. Danny McBride plays the main character, a washed up baseball player forced to become a teacher in his hometown, you may remember him from small roles in Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder.

For anyone familiar with Foot Fist Way, McBride plays Randy Powers like Fred Simmons with a mullet. A man who listens to his own audio book: You're Fucking Out, I'm Fucking In (narrated by himself, of course).

Undaunted I knew the game was mine to win. Just like in life all of my success depend on me. I'm the man who has the ball, and I'm the man who can throw it faster than fuck. So that is why I'm better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick, everyone.

The first episode contained everything that is wrong, like antisemitism and excessive cocaine. Oh and more profanity in a half hour than any other show in the history of television. Just unbelievably crude, but it does have a heart. Just before Powers becomes a completely insufferable oblivious ass it pulls back a bit. Not much, but something to give the characters some depth.

You get the feeling this show is actually going somewhere. It's certainly got more going on than that other HBO asshole-fest, Entourage. Plus it has more Valtrex jokes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That show is awesome. Has a good shot at being the funniest show on TV. I want a wave runner with a leopard paint job.


-Shibbs

Anonymous said...

watched it on tvshack.net. Delicious.