Thursday, November 13, 2008

Brutal Progress



So, uh, the economy? It sucks, don't know if you heard. Personally I had found it easy to ignore, even though I work in the news and information business. At least that was until today, when the newsroom got hit by layoffs. Granted, it was only four (although second shift is just coming in), and most were expected.

I kind of wish I had been one of those chosen for sudden termination. Unfortunately my skillful importance to antique future WEB TECHNOLOGY coupled with sub living-wage compensation means I probably have more security than just about anyone else there. Until the newspaper folds. Oh what a happy day that will be.

Seriously, crying old people. You've spent half your life at this dump, but get the fuck over it. Sure your past your prime but you'll be OK. That statement is reasonably true except for the alcoholic night editor, who has even odds to pull a Nicholas Cage in "Leaving Las Vegas" sans hooker (he didn't cry noticeably though, credit). I do actually feel bad for him -- there is not much of a job market for grizzled drunken luddites. I'd send him work ideas if he had e-mail.

Anyway, morale is low, and it won't stop raining.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a good song. I have never heard that before. Are you planning on going to the cabin? I think that I might show up but it probably won't be till really late Friday or possibly Saturday. If I can't get up to PA till late on Friday, I might call the whole thing off and just chill at my house for the weekend. I haven't been up in PA for a while.

-Shibby

I do want to play some baseball though.

tdenevi said...

I'd love to spend a day at your work. I'd have to be blazed out of my mind of course, and perhaps also on qualuudes, but it'd make a hell of an essay.

Also, this, which I just finished trying to teach to undergraduates, and to which I'll say: Goats! No!

"The house was far away from everything, in the heart of the desert, next to a settlement with miserable and burning streets where goats committed suicide from desolation when the wind of misfortune blew."

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "The Incredible and Sad Tale of Innocent Erendira and Her Heartless Grandmother."

What else? I'm off to see my brother-in-law Fancy this weekend. Not weird.